Matt's opinion

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Part 1 of 2

So the daily posting isn't going so well, SURPRISE! Oh well. So I thought I'd do two things today to appease all of you fans out there (I think there might actually be more than one, talk show here I come!!) is to discuss my take on the State of the Union address given this past Tuesday and then share some movie critics with you. Let's do movies first.

For those of you who don't know I recently signed up for Netflix, the online movie rental thing. It's working out great, we've been able to see about 5 or 6 movies in the past 3 weeks for like $17/mo which is a lot cheaper than Blockbuster. Anyway here are the movies we've seen lately:

Closer-We watched this one last night actually. It was a lot different from the previews, and much more vulgar than I'd anticipated. For brits, these people threw around the curse words like they were gansta rappers, and not just curse words, but vulgar (sexually explicit) words at that. Needless to say I found it amusing but I think it detracted from the movie. Overall though I thought it was good. A twist on the usual girly crap love stories.

The Life Aquatic- This, again, was nothing like the previews. Most of the movie wasn't even funny, it just dragged on and on with useless crap, much like my blog. I won't go so far as to say I hated it, but you shouldn't waste your time watching it if you haven't already.

Farenheight 9/11- Ok, how did this movie get classified as a documentary? Normally documentaries don't have an agenda, and even though I may agree that Bush is a douche this movie was so poorly done I turned it off after only 45 minutes. That 45 minutes is a part of my life I'll never get back and I regret even putting the movie in my PS2. Michael Moore is a soiled douche, plain and simple.

I also want to comment on a movie that's popular right now, Brokeback Mountain. OK people, get over yourselves, the last thing we need in this country is a bunch of gay cowboys sitting around eating pudding. Didn't we learn anything from the South Park Film Festival? Obviously not. In all seriousness if gay and lesbian people want to promote their agenda (like gay marriage) Hollywood is not the way to do it. The country as a whole will never go along with the now horribly radical liberals in Hollywood. Never gonna happen. If gays actually want equal rights they're going to have to chip single small goals off of the big block of benefits that accompanies hetero marriage.

For example, the first thing I would advocate is the ability to transfer property from one partner to another that supersedes the right of brothers and sisters to things like homes when one partner dies. You'd think a will would do that but it doesn't. If you start small and get larger with time then people are more comfortable with the end result. Last time I checked black people didn't get complete equal rights all at one time, they had to mount a sustained and prolonged fight.

I see this post is dragging on so I'm going to start a new post and get on a little bit taller soapbox when I talk about the State of the Union address.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home