Matt's opinion

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I'm a saaaaaaad Panda

This is the kind of thing that just depresses me. The link below describes this geography test that was administered to 18-24 year old people and asked the simple question: where is Iraq? Are you frickin kidding me?! A part of me died today when I learned about this. The sad thing is that at least half of the 66% of these people probably couldn't find America on a world map.

Now I'd love to sit here and tell you all about how the No Child Left Behind Act is responsible for this, but truth be told it's not. Most of these people were either out of high school or about to be when that program started, which I think was in 2001.

The sad thing is I bet at least 70% of those people asked could name every American Idol winner. What's even more sad is that since so much attention is being focused on foreign policy these days, all domestic needs, such as education, are just not being attended to. Dumb citizens are a result.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/index.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home