Matt's opinion

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The thesis has been defeated

Isn't that a Jack Johnson song? Oh wait, that's "the horizon has been defeated", my bad. I finally get to say this: I'M DONE WITH MY THESIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now all I have to do to graduate is a class project and pass an exam for my fluvial geomorph class. It's actually a little sad, because there's so much I think I should be doing, that's pretty much it. Although that's not exactly true, there are some more things I need to do, like turn my thesis into a journal article, and work on another paper from the work we (a class) did in the Geopark on campus. I think there are a few other minor things but that's not bad. I will post a link to my thesis when it becomes available online through the USF library.

I still haven't heard a definitive yes or no from Northwestern, which is really frustrating. It's been more than 2 weeks since my visit. You'd think they would get together right afterwards and decide but I guess not. Although I should say that it's possible that they did meet and decided but the letter just hasn't arrived yet, but damnit that's frustrating too. Stupid mail.

Other than that I'm kinda waiting in limbo to finish my projects and hear where I'm going to be next fall. The one bad thing is that if Northwestern for some reason dosen't accept me then I would go to Northern IL, and that prof has to be getting impatient with me holding out on making a decision for this long. They offered me a spot there about a month ago. He seemed to understand that I was waiting on other offers and that could take time but how long will he wait?

Oh, for those of you who are dying to know what book I decided to read next I picked up John McCain's book "Character is Destiny" last night. It's different from what I'd thought it would be. It's not stories from his life, but stories about historical figures' lives and how they demonstrated the kind of character we should emulate. The first story is about Thomas Moore, an English man who would not betray his faith despite a death sentence from King Henry V (or was it Henry VIII, I can't remember now). I'll keep you updated on how it goes. Next up is Ghandi, but I don't care what kind of character I read about, I'm not starving myself to protest anything. If Bush cared how well I ate he would be concerned with how middle class wages, after being adjusted for inflation, are going down while weathy people are earning more. Zing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home