Matt's opinion

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Frustrated love

Ok, I tried to do this yesterday but it didn't work for some reason so let's keep our fingers crossed.

I'm in the process of writing my thesis and boy is that a treat. I have my first meeting about a section I wrote (Results and Conclusion) tomorrow. Hopefully my advisor actually remembers to read it. Last time I gave her some writing to go over she forgot and didn't even look at it until I was sitting in her office. Then she said I should focus on something else and handed the paper back to me after reading the introduction. That did end up helping, but I have a feeling reading the initial draft would have helped more. Needless to say this is the most frustrating thing I've had to do yet: trying to make sense out of a large data set that has very little interesting data.

Everything else is going fine. I found out that I got admitted to Northern Illinois last week. The catch is that they won't be making any support decisions for another 3 weeks (max) so I don't know if I'm actually going or not. I haven't heard anything from UIC yet, although their deadline was at the beginning of the month. I emailed Northwestern last week and they told me they were hesitating with a decision on me because they didn't know who I would work with. So I emailed the professor I wanted to work with with an introduction and CC'd the email to another professor who was working in a similar subject. Apparently CCing another professor is some kind of feu pa (sp?) because everyone I tell about it says they've never done that. Oh well, the worst thing they can say is no they won't admit me. Trouble is I haven't heard back from either of those profs or the profs at NIU who I emailed after I found out I was admitted. In this case ignorance is truly not bliss.

Speaking of ignorance, the cable company finally wised up after 3 weeks and shut off my cable. I no longer get to watch the Daily Show or the Colbert Report, which is truly destroying me. I'm not afraid to admit I have a man crush on John Stewart and Stephen Colbert (not in a gay way). It really does pain me to go home at night and not hear headlines like "The Vice President has shot a 78 year old man, in the face" 100 times in the same episode. It never got old, until the next day: "We'd like to make a correction to last night's headlines," John Stewart said, "We reported that the Vice President of the United States shot a 78 year old man in the face. That is not correct. We have learned that the Vice President has shot a 78 year old man in the upper torso, neck, AND face. We apologize for the misinformation"

I love you John Stewart!!! (ok, maybe that was a little gay, but who cares)

2 Comments:

  • I feel your pain with the thesis...
    Oh and the only reason I came to Idaho was that my current advisor was the ONLY one to answer my emails in a timely fashion... I got emails back from a couple people over a month after I'd sent them (and I'd already accepted UI's offer). It seems silly but some professors don't have time (or don't make time) to answer emails...
    ~ Julz

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 PM  

  • I used to be one of those professors you are getting frustrated over, Matt. And by "one of those professors" I mean "drunks". And by "frustrated over" I mean "phone calls at 4 in the morning (5 am your time) from."
    -Justin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home