Matt's opinion

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial weekend

Just a quick update. The packing is going alright. I was lucky enough to get quite a few boxes from Target and Walmart (mostly Target) so we should be alright as far as that goes. I think the most difficult task coming up will be to take apart the sofa-bed in the living room, so if you have any incite on taking those things apart please let me know. Hopefully that'll make moving that couch down the stairs a whole lot easier.

Other than that there really isn't much going on. We spent our last lazy day in Florida (Sunday) at Ft. Desoto Beach with some friends, which as quite enjoyable. Thank God for shade and a strong breeze!! Those two things turned a scorching hot sauna into a very pleasant and enjoyable afternoon. We even splurged and rented some kayaks so we could paddle around the mangrove inlets for an hour. It was really pretty but we didn't get to see any manatees or dolphins, which was a little disappointing, but oh well.

Saturday we went to see "The Da Vinci Code". I'm not sure if I liked it or not. I really liked the book but I feel like the movie just didn't explain things as thoroughly as I had hoped. I really wondered how they were going to reveal all of the intricate details that are presented in the book. Turns out that they didn't reveal many of the details at all. The result was that scenes in the movie kind of jumped around and nothing really meshed together the way I thought it should have. I think that if I had not read the book and went to see the movie I would have walked out of the theatre really confused and disappointed. I'll probably wait till it comes out on DVD and see it again. I spent so much time during the movie comparing different scenes to the book that I may have missed some important details that would make the movie better.

Oh yeah, on the topic of movies, we watched "Brokeback Mountain" this weekend. It was on our Netflix list of movies to see and I reluctantly agreed to watch when Melissa put it in. My first reaction at the end of the movie was: "This crap won awards? For what?". This movie was absolutely terrible!!!!! So what if these two guys had a love affair? The only thing I got from this movie is that both of those men ended up ruining the lives of their wives and children. How is that a love story? Why should that be praised with awards and media coverage? I'll give you the answer: because it showed (very briefly) the two guys starting to go at it. I guess it's the first mainstream movie to do that and to focus on the relationship of two men.

Now let me get one thing straight: I don't think there's anything wrong with being gay. I don't think it's a disease or disorder or anything like that. But quite frankly, if I were gay, I'd be pissed that the first movie that focuses on homosexuality is about two families that are torn apart by lies, deception, cheating, and homewrecking. I guess I just don't get it. Unfortunately, the situation the movie depicts may be the reality in that part of the country during that time period (and maybe even today), which is sad. Having said that, I just don't think that story should be made into a movie, and that this movie certainly does not deserve the awards it's gotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home