Matt's opinion

Monday, May 22, 2006

Hey there

I've been neglecting this blog for a while, so I think it's time to put a stop to that. Here's some highlights of the last week or so:

-The biggest highlight of the last week is my dramatic turtle rescue. I was driving to the mailbox on my way out for the day and I drove by what looked to be an upside down turtle. After putting my outgoing mail in the mailbox I walked over and sure enough a poor turtle (about 10 inches in diameter) is lying on his back next to the curb with his little head and arms and legs tucked in his shell. So, being the nice guy that I am I pick up the turtle, turn it right side up and walk it over to a picnic area at the front of my apartment complex with a little pond. Unfortunately, as I was walking him over to the pond, the a clear liquid began streaming out the back of the turtle's shell. I tried to convince myself that there was just extra water trapped in it's shell, but I knew better than that. I was being peed on by the very turtle I was rescuing. So much for gratitude!!! Anyway, hopefully the turtle is still ok and basking in the pond. Needless to say I had to go back to my apartment and wash my peed on jeans and spray Lysol over everything I touched.

-Last Sunday (the 14th) we finally made it to Disney World's Magic Kingdom. I have to admit it was a lot of fun. It's quite a bit different than I imagined and Melissa and I both had a great time. That's the last park we needed to visit before moving back up north, and it was definitely one of the best parks I've been to.

-A few political notes for you: One thing I haven't heard anything about on network news is the idea of "internet neutrality". It's something we all need to know about. For those of you who don't know: telecommunications companies want to charge companies based on how fast the company wants it's website to viewable to the public via the internet. What that boils down to is that companies who pay telecommunications providers (cable companies) will have websites that are fast really fast to load on your screen, while smaller companies and individuals (like this blog) who don't pay cable companies will have their websites load very slowly, taking minutes instead of seconds. So you could be using the same computer and different sites would load based solely on cable company profits. This issue is only starting to be discussed in public, but have been in Congress for some time and may make it into a bill in the near future.

My goal is to keep everyone and every site on the internet on equal footing. If that effort fails, we risk losing all the opportunities the internet has afforded individuals and businesses of all sizes in terms of sales, availability of information, and expanded individual expression, among others.

That's all for now, I'll try and update this more often this week. I must go and find boxes for the upcoming move (June 5th!!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home