Matt's opinion

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

First publication

For those of you interested, and I know all of you are, in seeing the first article published article I'm a co-author on here is the citation:

Kruse, S., M. Grasmueck, M. Weiss, and D. Viggiano (2006), Sinkhole structure imaging in covered Karst terrain, Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L16405, doi:10.1029/2006GL026975.

It comes from a class project that actually became a good contribution to the scientific community. You can probably view the article if you search through the library or university that has a geology department that maintains a membership with the American Geophysical Union or you can read the abstract for free here:
http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2006/2006GL026975.shtml

I'm in the process, albeit a long one, of writing another article based on my MS thesis work but this will take another few months before it is published. I know all of you are just dying to see it so I'll let you know when that happens.

Other than that not much is going on. I'm just doing a hell of a lot of reading for class. It's pretty interesting though. The big research topic here is the global cycles of elements like carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus and a few others. It's actually really cool how each element cycle can be examined on scales as small as a single plot of soil all the way up to global scales and then even the universe. It's not that easy to wrap your brain around something that's really fundamental and useful on so many levels, let me tell you. I guess that's why it's going to take 4 more years after this one to finish. Patience is a virtue.

That's all for tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home