Matt's opinion

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

First day

Yesterday was formally my first day as a Wildcat. It was nice. I had my mom come over and make my lunch (she got me this kick-ass He-Man lunch box, sweet!!) and then I got on the bus to come to school and had my first class. It was so special!

Well, that's not entirely true. I did take the bus and have my first class yesterday but my mom didn't make my lunch and I don't have a kick ass He-Man lunch box (thanks a lot mom!), although I'm sure you already figured that out. Class went well. Yesterday I had "Geochemistry of Global Environments" which is going to be difficult as the prof who teaches it is a genius (literally wrote the book on the subject) but at least I should learn a lot from it. I got really pissed off yesterday when my second class didn't even meet ("Multivariate Calculus" discussion. Turns out the math dept doesn't want to stress out the TA's on the first day when we haven't had any lectures yet. Pussies.

What's mortifying is that the math course is at the undergraduate level, so I'll probably be surrounded by a bunch of kids who are just out of high school. Yeah, I'm going to be that creepy old guy in the class. woo-hoo. I'd really laugh if the TA in the discussion class is a MS level student. Not that it really matters, I mean they'll obviously know more about that subject than I do but it'll be weird being taught by someone who does not have an equivalent degree. I know that sounds a little stuck up and I don't mean it that way, I just can't think of another way to say it.

Today it's "Radiogenic Isotope Geochemistry" and Calc lect. The Isotope class should be reasonably easy as it's taught by my advisor and he pretty much said it was going to be (not as directly but you get the idea). We'll see how it goes.

So last night, since our friends Brock and Tracy are in town, we went to the Second City show last night in Lincoln Park. It was hilarious! If you have the chance to go do it. It's not that expensive and really funny. This particular performance was a little too political for me (yes, it's possible, which should tell you something) but it was funny from start to finish. Melissa and I are starting, ever so slowly, to get acquainted with the city. I give it another year or so and we'll be able to walk around downtown without my trusty CTA map and know where all the cool things are.

That's it for now, time for class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home